Best of Sanibel Captiva; photo courtsey of Photos by Glenna Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board
A Message Board For Dreamers & Doers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAND DOLLARS?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board Forum Index -> My Trip to Sanibel & Captiva
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tracj007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: SAND DOLLARS????? Reply with quote

I have been reading everyones trip reports and am so excited and awaiting my own trip on December 26th for a week!

I'm wondering if anyone has found sand dollars???? When we were their in June we looked and looked and didn't find any whole ones and very few broken ones.

My husband is determined to find his own whole sand dollar for the very first time!

Any news on anyone finding them and if so, where did you find them, what area?

Thanx for any input and I love everyones reports...keep them coming!!!

mo1039

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most sand dollars we ever found was during the summer. If there are storms in December the surf may be too rough and bang them up. Tell him good luck though.
CrazyKaren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a lot. I haven't been in December though. But, I don't think that would make too much of a difference. I found a lot of mine at Cayo Costa at the high tide line, and a lot at low tide, out in the water where the sandbars are. But, I've also seen people walk right by a sand dollar and never see it. I have a knack for spotting them.

Glenda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go every November and a couple of times there were loads of sand dollars on the beach by the lighthouse. Every year it is something different and that is what I love, you just never know what you will find. Quick question for someone who knows. How do you know that the sand dollar isn't alive anymore?
Printemps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Live sand dollars Reply with quote

You can see it at the end of this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIy_R3HX0io
CrazyKaren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are usually brown or brownish-green and they have like, little sucker feet all over the back. If you hold it in your hand and it's alive, it feels really weird. I don't know how else to describe it.

tracj007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx everyone....I figure looking for sand dollars is a hit and miss type of thing!

This next time we will be spending more time going to different area's of the island beaches. Last time in June was our first visit to the island and there was soooo much to see and explore, 4 days was simply not enough time. We went to the light house area only once and that's when we first arrived on the island. We walked up and down the beach area of our condo which was west gulf st, mid section. We walked on the beaches over by blind pass, turner beach and then parked at that last parking area on Captiva and walked all the way down to redfish pass. So there is a lot of beach area that is still to explore this next time around.

How to tell a live sand dollar?
My explaination is that if it's alive is all fuzzy, greenish brownish, like it's covered in a light fuzzy moss. If it's dead, it may have a little fuzz on it but not "covered" in the fuzz. Once a sand dollar dies, the "fuzzyness" to it dies off too.

This is how I explained it to my kids and it seemed to make sense and they can tell the difference now. I've tried saying there little sucktion cup feet and they were looking for "feet"...LOL Laughing

Hope that helps!

CrazyKaren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you going back for? If you have the time, I recommend a shelling cruise to cayo costa with Captiva Cruises. They are reasonably priced and I have found the best sand dollars there every time I've gone. You're right though, 4 days is definately not enough!

James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Sand Dollars Reply with quote

If you don't mind going off-island, my wife and I have always had good luck finding Sand Dollars on Lover's Key just past Ft. Meyers Beach. We always park in the first lot on the left after you go over the Bonita Beach Causeway but you can also go a little further to the main entrance to the park. Use Google maps and search for Lover's Key, FL and you will get an idea of the layout of the park.
tracj007

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much to explore and see on Sanibel/Captiva that I'm not sure we will have the time to go to Lovers Key.

We will be there for a whole 7 days this time! Surely not long enough though...bummer. Sad

I was thinking about doing a cruise this time, so maybe that's what we will try out. Thanx for the insight.

I can't wait to go. I'm so glad it's almost November. Time flys by this time of year. Between all the Thanksgiving preping, black friday shopping and then christmas decorating and preping...12/26 will be here very soon!!!!

The kids are very excited...they said that this year they get Santa, Stockings and Sanibel all at the same time! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sanibel Captiva Island Message Board Forum Index -> My Trip to Sanibel & Captiva All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: